Dr. Kao grew up in New York and California. He received a Bachelor’s of Science Degree from Cornell University in Ithaca, NY and obtained a Master’s in Public Health (MPH) at George Washington University in Washington, DC. He received medical degrees (DO and MD) from Western University in southern California and International University in southern Florida. Residency and fellowship training were completed at Michigan State University and the University of Cincinnati respectively.
Dr. Kao participated in studies in the field of refractive surgery as early as 1990 (initial FDA approval for PRK) at the University of California, Irvine, Department of Ophthalmology and as an Ophthalmic surgical consultant. He utilizes the latest refractive surgery techniques in providing the most advanced technology to his patients. Dr. Kao is one of few surgeons certified on all five of the excimer lasers approved in the U.S. Additionally, he is experienced in the use of all microkeratomes in the U.S. and is among the first surgeons in the U.S. to regularly utilize the IntraLase Femtosecond laser for the all-laser LASIK procedure. Having been the surgeon with all three national LASIK Corporations, he has performed over 45,000 refractive procedures not limited to LASIK, PRK/LASEK, Conductive Keratoplasty (Near Vision CK), INTACs, VISIAN ICL, and cataract surgeries. He has had LASIK himself and performed LASIK on his family members as well. Dr. Kao is most committed to providing his patients with the best that modern medicine has to offer.
- Board-Certified, Fellowship-trained in Refractive Surgery, and Cornea / Anterior Segment – University of Cincinnati
- Education obtained from Cornell University, George Washington University, Western University of Health Sciences, Stanford University, Wills Eye Institute, Kresge Eye Institute, Michigan State University, and others
- Experience in Research & Development and Quality Control/Quality Assurance for Ophthalmic Surgical Devices; Researcher for initial FDA-approval for surface ablation for Refractive Surgery, University of California, Irvine
- Successfully performed thousands of refractive, cosmetic, and comprehensive ophthalmologic procedures, including but not limited to LASIK, LASEK/PRK, CK, VISIAN ICL and cataract surgeries.
- Certified on all laser platforms: Wavelight Allegretto, VISX, ALCON, NIDEK, & Bausch & Lomb lasers
- Certified on all keratomes: B & L Hansatome, NIDEK, B-D, Moria (LSK, M2, CB, One Use-Plus), Amadeus
- Certified on IntraLase 30 and 60 kHz (utilized regularly since 2005) and Instructor
- Certified on INTACs prescription corneal inserts, experienced with 6 mm INTAC rings and .450 mm inserts
- Certified on VISIAN ICL; Certified on Toric and ReSTOR multifocal IOL; Certified on Fugo Blade
- Bravo for Bravery Award, American Red Cross 2005 recipient; Proficient in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese
- American Osteopathic Association, American Medical Association, American Academy of Ophthalmology